Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2012        Go!    
 
 
December 12, Tuesday 2017 7:57 AM       

       HEADLINES: Ockhi: Govt confirms death toll to be 38                                              Neela kurunji: Immigrant farmers needn’t worry, says E Chandrasekharan                                              No issues between CPI and CPM: M M Mani                                              Ockhi: On more dead body brought to land                                              Lavalin case postponed based on request by accused                                              Rahul set to take over Congress' reins on Dec 16                                              Three Pak terrorists neutralised in J-K                                              Sushma Swaraj meets Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi                                              Senior advocate gives up court practice after heated exchange with CJI                                              Rumours over; Anushka Sharma, Virat Kohli get married in Italy                                              Putin orders partial Russia troop withdrawal from Syria                                              Leader supporting Gaza terrorists cannot dictate me: Netanyahu                                              Afghan Army kills 76 Taliban militants in five days                                              Left Alliance dominate vote count in Nepal polls                                              Hamilton Test: Kiwis reduce Windies to 30-2 after Taylor's landmark ton                                              BCCI revokes ban on Rajasthan Cricket Association                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       CITYNEWS Next Article: Will continue search till last fisherman is found, says govt  
       Fishers continue protest
 
         Posted on :09:35:25 Dec 4, 2017
   
A A
       Last edited on:09:35:25 Dec 4, 2017
         Tags: fishers, protest
 

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The alleged delay of the state government in responding to the Ockhi cyclone threat and initiating rescue operations sparked off protests of the fisher folk too.

Fishers and their families in the affected areas across the State raised a banner of protest against the alleged tardy response to the disaster and also in conceding to their demand to include them in the Coast Guard teams that ventured into the sea in search of the missing boats.

This was despite the government bid to convince them that the best efforts had been made to expedite the rescue operations and save those who were caught in the sea.

The protests were largely initiated at the behest of the church and was aimed at bringing into sharp focus the alleged failure of the State’s disaster management mechanism to alert the fishermen and take precautionary steps.

The heads of local churches in the coastal area in the capital as well as other affected areas vociferously insisted that the fishermen should also be made part of the Coast Guard search teams and in the face of protests, accepted the demand.

The state also witnessed a political blame game in the wake of the havoc wreaked by the cyclone.

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) State president Kummanam Rajasekharan said here on Sunday that the Central agencies had dutifully alerted the state.

The MeT Centre as well as the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services had alerted the State on November 28 and 29.

On seeking a clarification in this regard, INCOIS director Sathish Shenoy had furnished documents to prove that the alert was issued in time.

It had on November 28 itself warned of very heavy winds between 8.30 a.m. and 11.30 p.m. on the Kerala coast between Vizhinjam and Kasaragod on November 30 and said that the sea would be rough.

The central agencies had issued a joint bulletin on November 29.

This was passed on to the state government.

The state government argument that the warning was issued only on November 30 was baseless, he said in a statement here.

A A
       CITYNEWS
Next Article: Will continue search till last fisherman is found, says govt
 
 
CITYNEWS HEADLINES
No deadline fixed to finish MCH work, says minister  
Officials failed fishers: SHRC  
Pedestrian killed in road accident  
Seven crude bombs recovered in Kannur  
Student killed  
Prisoners raise Rs 1 lakh  
Naval forces continues its SAR for missing fishermen  
Fifteen foreign officers passes out from Ins Dronacharya  
Cyclone Ockhi: Southern Naval Command continues search and rescue  
Rahul to visit Ockhi-hit Kerala villages  
Three fishermen discharged from MCH  
Man held for bid to abduct child  
Thirteen fishermen discharged  
Case against eight RSS workers  
Sporadic violence in Kasaragod  
Cyclone 'Ockhi' toll rises to 32 in state  
Probe begins into death of brothers  
TDB moots VACB probe  
SET on February 25  
Ensure timely payment of relief: CM  
Three found dead  
Two bodies identified  
No load-shedding or power cut: Mani  
Fishermen join IAF mission  
Cyclone Ockhi: 25 rescued from Lakshadweep, 13 from sea coast  
 
Is the on-going IFFK well organised?
yes
 
no
 
no opinion
 
 
 
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]kaumudi.com
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy