Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2018        Go!    
 
 
August 16, Thursday 2018 1:20 PM       

       HEADLINES: Stranded girl seeks help via Facebook                                              Shutters of Aruvikkara dam raised                                              Let contentious issues, extraneous debates not distract us: Prez's I-Day message to the nation                                              Modi says corrupt, black money hoarders will not be spared                                              ‘Sleeping elephant’ woke up, India to lead world growth for three decades: PM Modi                                              Scotland Yard returns 12th century stolen Buddha statue to India on I-Day                                              Trump Tower operators sued over water release into river                                              Anger grows in Italy as bridge toll rises to 38                                              Former India captain Ajit Wadekar no more                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       SPORTS Next Article: ICC wishes England on their 1000th Test  
       Neymar under fire after World Cup 'mea culpa' advert
 
         Posted on :17:59:05 Jul 31, 2018
   
A A
       Last edited on:17:59:05 Jul 31, 2018
         Tags: neymar, mea culpa
 

SAO PAULO: Neymar's decision to use a sponsored advert to admit he sometimes over-reacted to fouls at the World Cup has backfired, with Brazilian marketing experts saying it had made the Paris Saint-Germain striker's image even worse.

Under the title 'A New Man Every Day,' Sunday's video was backed by personal care products maker Gillette and broadcast on several Brazilian TV networks.

"You may think I exaggerate. And sometimes I do exaggerate. But the truth is I suffer on the pitch," Neymar said in the advert, referring to the constant fouls he received at the World Cup.

"I took long to accept your criticism. I took long to look at myself in the mirror and become a new man."

Brazil was knocked out by Belgium in the World Cup quarterfinals earlier this month.

Marketing specialists said the advert damaged the 26-year-old player's brand as much as his histrionics did in Russia.

"The whole market waited 15 days since the end of the World Cup to hear from him," Amir Somoggi, a partner at marketing company Sports Value, told The Associated Press.

"He gave some interviews, but did not admit his exaggerations then. Now he has hidden behind a TV commercial to do that. This was great for the sponsor, after all we are talking about the brand. But it was not good for Neymar, who now has an even bigger image crisis to handle."

Sports marketing consultant Erich Beting believes the timing of the advert was a mistake.

"Neymar's problems happened on the pitch, and he will not play tomorrow to show he has changed, as the ad says. That fact, and his decision to pick an ad to do it, will make it all sound empty. It will be weeks until he has a chance to show any real improvement," Beting said.

Jose Colagrossi, another sports marketing consultant, agreed.

"It would be different if he really meant it, in a live press conference, looking eye to eye and not in a sponsored video," he said.

It is not the first time Neymar has used an advert to handle an image crisis.

In 2011, he was criticised for constant misbehavior and he used an advert sponsored by phone carrier Nextel to address his fans.

"You cursed at me when I made mistakes, you screamed when I didn't listen," he said in the ad. "You know who I am. Only another happy boy playing with his ball."

Now, some of the criticism for the image crisis is aimed at Neymar da Silva Santos, his father and the man who manages his career.

Ricardo Fort, who heads global sponsorship deals at Coca-Cola, said the Brazil striker needs to take control of his career.

"After this World Cup, who thinks of Neymar thinks of theatrics, faking. These are attributes that no brand wants to get associated with," Fort wrote in an open letter to the player in Monday's edition of magazine Meio & Mensagem.

"It is time for you to hire a professional to take care of your career. You are too valuable to be treated like that."

Asked to comment on the negativity, Neymar's staff directed the Associated Press to Procter & Gamble, owners of Gillette. The company did not discuss the criticism of the player, or the ad.

"Like many others, Neymar Jr. faces challenges, injuries and defeats, and the objective of Gillette is to encourage every man, with no distinction, to reflect on the opportunity of becoming a new man every day," the company said in a statement.

The firm also denied a report by newspaper O Globo saying the striker was paid about USD 250,000 for the ad.

A A
       SPORTS
Next Article: ICC wishes England on their 1000th Test
 
 
SPORTS HEADLINES
Former India captain Ajit Wadekar no more  
I am yesterday's man looking for next champion: Bindra  
Unfair to say India are dependent on Kohli: Sangakkara  
13 players including Sanju Samsom served show-cause notice  
David Silva bids adieu to International football  
Kohli's plea to fans: Never give up on us  
Indian batsmen's troubles mental, not technical: Kohli  
Lord's Test: Stiff back keeps Kohli off field  
Messi to lead FC Barcelona for new season  
Jayaram enters Vietnam Open final  
Neeraj named India's flag-bearer for Asian Games opening ceremony  
Rathore asks athletes and officials to behave responsibly during Asian Games  
BCCI case: SC dumps `one state one vote` policy  
Pogba keen to leave United for Barcelona  
I will come back stronger: PV Sindhu  
Ball tampering, abuse threatening for cricket's DNA: ICC chief  
Anderson, Djokovic to pair up for Rogers Cup  
India stun Argentina in U-20 COTIF Cup football tourney  
Lakshya looks to continue impressive run at Vietnam Open  
Bindra, Ganguly lend support to new sports talent hunt campaign  
Bopanna skips Rogers Cup to save shoulder for Asian Games  
Can't take five days off before Test series: Gavaskar  
Sindhu loses final yet again, settles for silver at World Championships  
India lose first Test against England by 31 runs  
Would love to be Australian vice-captain: Hazelwood  
 
Do you think people took lightly government's warnings in flood-prone areas?
yes
 
no
 
no opinion
 
 
 
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]kaumudi.com
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy