Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2012        Go!    
 
 
August 16, Wednesday 2017 6:56 PM       

       HEADLINES: Transgender found dead in Aluva                                              CM’s office intervened for self-financing managements                                              Pulsar Suni's 'madam' still remains a mystery                                              Jean Paul Lal case: Case can’t be settled                                              B vault will be opened as per SC direction: Minister                                              Indian troops foil China’s incursion bid in Ladakh                                              DMK chief M Karunanidhi admitted to hospital                                              Terror funding case: NIA raids 12 locations in Kashmir                                              Three British men jailed, caned for sexual assault                                              Guam Radio Stations accidentally trigger emergency alert                                              Indian men's hockey team beat Netherlands 2-1, win series                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       WORLD Next Article: Khaleda Zia gets permanent bail in graft case  
       China earthquake: Death toll rises to 13
 
         Posted on :00:26:27 Aug 10, 2017
   
A A
       Last edited on:00:26:27 Aug 10, 2017
         Tags: China earthquake: Death toll rises to 13
 
Beijing: A powerful 7.0 magnitude earthquake has jolted a popular tourist destination in China's southwest Sichuan province, killing 13 people and injuring 175 others, officials said today.
 
Authorities fear that the toll may rise.
 
The massive earthquake struck at 9:19 PM (local time) yesterday and the epicentre was monitored at a depth of 20 km, state-run Xinhua new agency reported.
 
Jiuzhaigou, or Jiuzhai Valley, is a national park known for spectacular waterfalls and karst formations. More than 34,000 people visited the tourist attraction yesterday.
 
So far 13 people were killed and 175 others injured in the Sichuan quake, the provincial government said.
 
The injured included a French man and a Canadian woman.
 
Maxence Vallon, 18, was wounded in both legs; while the Canadian woman, who declined to be named, suffered slight injury in the head, the report said. Both were being treated at a hospital of Jiuzhaigou county.
 
The exact number of casualties of foreign nationals in the disaster was not immediately known.
 
"We were lying on an open ground to seek shelter when a big stone fell and hit my brother right in the leg," said Romain Vallon, who studies in Beijing.
 
The brothers were staying in a hotel with their mother in Jiuzhaigou when the quake struck.
 
Five among the dead were visitors to the Jiuzhaigou national park, China Earthquake Networks Centre (CENC) said.
 
So far 31,500 tourists have been relocated.
 
Tourist coaches and private vehicles have been pressed into service to help transport the stranded tourists.
 
Power, communication and water supply in the county seat have been restored.
 
So far the Jiuzhaigou county has dispatched more than 90 emergency vehicles and 1,200 personnel for the rescue work.
 
The county also sent consultants to hotels, rural inns and streets to offer possible counselling service to tourists.
 
The quake was felt in the provincial capital Chengdu, about 300 kms south of the epicentre, and other regions in the neighbouring provinces of Gansu and Shaanxi, the report said.
 
President Xi Jinping has called for all-out efforts to rapidly organise relief work and rescue the injured people.
 
Authorities should check the impact of the earthquake, evacuate and settle visitors and local people, and reduce death and injuries as much as possible, Xi said.
 
As the earthquake took place during the flood period and tourism season, authorities should enhance meteorological early warning and geological monitoring to guard against other disasters and try their best to protect people's lives and property, he added.
 
Premier Li Keqiang also urged local authorities to go all out in relief and monitoring work.
 
China's cabinet, the State Council, have sent a national work team to the disaster-hit area to guide relief work. Local governments have also activated top-level emergency response procedures.
 
The Western Theatre Command of the People's Liberation Army (PLA), which oversees Sichuan province, upgraded aviation traffic control in the quake zone last night to make way for rescue mission flights, the PLA Daily reported.
 
Relief aid will be dropped in the quake zone by transport aircraft.
 
The province's paramilitary police has also sent out forces with life detecting equipment to search for survivors who may be buried under rubble, Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported.
 
All three of the country's major telecommunications firms have sent technicians to the quake zone to fix damaged networks.
 
Sichuan is a quake-prone region. In May 2008, an 8.0- magnitude earthquake struck Wenchuan and killed more than 80,000 people. In 2013, a 7.0-magnitude quake hit Lushan, in which 196 people were killed.
 
Meanwhile, another quake struck in China's Xinjiang province in the morning.
 
Three villagers were rushed to hospital after their home collapsed in a 6.6-magnitude earthquake that jolted Jinghe county in Bortala Mongolian autonomous prefecture in Xinjiang province, Xinhua reported.
 
Many residents in Jinghe county said strong tremors were felt at the time of the quake.
 
Wang Xinjiang, a local resident, said his families were waken up by the continuous jolts while household articles fell from high places when the quake came. Many residents ran out of their homes to open places.
 
People in neighbouring cities of Urumqi, Changji, Yining and Karamay felt strong tremors that lasted 10 to 20 seconds at the time of the quake.
 
The quake struck at a depth of 11 kms, the CENC said in a statement.
 
The epicentre was 37 kms from Jinghe County seat, 93 kms from the prefectural capital of Bole city, and 383 kms from Urumqi.
 
According to the data analysis of mobile population carried out by the regional government, about 760 people were within 20 kms of the epicentre, and about 53,000 were within the 50-km range.
 
Both the state and regional earthquake administrations have activated emergency responses and sent working teams to assist earthquake relief operations.
 
Jinghe county has a population of about 150,000 based on the 2014 census. A total of 65 quakes greater than magnitude three were recorded within 200 kms of the epicentre over the past five years, with the current one the greatest.
A A
       WORLD
Next Article: Khaleda Zia gets permanent bail in graft case
 
 
WORLD HEADLINES
Guam Radio Stations accidentally trigger emergency alert  
Three British men jailed, caned for sexual assault  
China, Pak partners of strategic cooperation: Wang  
Massive mudslide in Sierra Leone, over 200 dead  
Pak hoists 'largest' national flag to mark 70th I-Day  
Venezuela calls Trump's warning 'crazy act'  
Strong earthquake of magnitude 6.4 jolts Indonesia's Sumatra  
World's oldest man, a Holocaust survivor, dies at 113  
Satellite images show N Korea testing submarine missile  
Blast targeting military vehicle kills 15 people in Quetta  
China earthquake: Death toll rises to 24  
28 killed, 80 injured after two trains collide in Egypt  
US Military 'locked and loaded' to face Pyongyang provocation: Trump  
Doklam standoff: China rejects reports of offering to relocate troops  
India giving signs for possible military clashes: State Media  
UK homeless population may double by 2041: Crisis report  
Trump slams McConnell for ObamaCare repeal failure  
Pak's ISI wanted Taliban leader Mansour to destroy schools, roads in Afghan  
4 Pak Army personnel killed in clashes with militants  
China earthquake: Death toll rises to 13  
Khaleda Zia gets permanent bail in graft case  
Prince Salman bin Saad bin Abdullah passes away  
Ivanka Trump to visit India in Nov  
Nepal won't take any sides in India-China standoff: Deputy PM  
Defiant N Korea rejects talks post UN sanctions  
 
Do you think government hospitals in Kerala are unequipped to handle emergencies?
Yes
 
No
 
No Opinion
 
 
 
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]kaumudi.com
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy